Permitting and Regulatory Agencies

This information concerning the operation of a business within the City of Beaumont is of a general nature. For specific or detailed information please contact the appropriate city, county, or state office. Learn about the U.S. Small Business Association.

Alcoholic Beverages

The sale of alcoholic beverages is under the regulation of the state Alcoholic Beverage Control Board. On this site, you can view a statement about council issuing alcohol licenses.

Business Tax

 A business tax certificate is required to be applied for prior to the start of business operations. All businesses (i.e., nonprofessional services, professional services, retail, wholesale contractors, apartment building owners, rental of commercial property, and others) are licensed according to business type.

Fictitious Business Names

These are commonly known as "doing business as" or DBA names. The Riverside County Clerk's Office accepts applications for recording fictitious business names. Contact the County Clerk's Office for further information.

Regular Permit

Certain types of businesses may be required to obtain a special permit. Some of the businesses that are required to obtain this permit are: amusements, clubs, escort bureaus, massage, motion picture / television filming, police patrol, second-hand dealers, pawnbrokers, peddlers, taxicabs, transient merchants, solicitors / canvassers, and others.

Sale of Food

The sale of food is regulated by the Riverside County Health Department.

Sign Permits

There are strict sign regulations in Beaumont. Contact the Planning Division prior to construction or use of signs in the city.

Use of Commercial & Industrial Properties

An investigation into the proposed use of commercial and industrial property may be necessary depending on the type of business activity (i.e., commercial, restaurant, industrial, manufacturing, or businesses) that affect parking availability. Contact the Planning Division.

Use of Public Streets

The use of public property by private business requires city approval. Contact the Public Works Department / Engineering Department for further information. Answers, support, and resources for small businesses from the departments.