- Current & Upcoming Projects
- Second Street Extension
Second Street Extension
On May 19, 2020, City Council awarded the preliminary design and final engineering contract for the Second Street Extension Project (Project) to Cozad & Fox, Inc. The Project would extend Second Street from the westerly boundary of the Home Depot shopping center to the projected intersection at Pennsylvania Avenue.
On January 12, 2021, Cozad & Fox, Inc. completed the preliminary design and provided a Preliminary Design Report (PDR). The preliminary design and PDR identified specific design constraints, environmental constraints, jurisdictional constraints, and preliminary costs. Below is a summary of the findings:
- The Project designed the intersection of Second Street and Pennsylvania Avenue to match the design of the Pennsylvania Street widening project.
- The construction of the Beaumont Master Drainage Facility Line 2 project will significantly reduce flows through two natural channels. Subsequently, the Project designed a proposed culvert to reduce flow, reducing the cost of the Project.
- An existing culvert crossing occurs west of the Home Depot shopping center. The typical section of Second Street was modified to stay within the existing limits of the culvert crossing, reducing the cost of the Project.
- The proposed modified section of Second Street will construct half-width improvements along the south portion and provide two lanes plus a shoulder on the north portion. As development occurs along the north portion, Second Street will be developed to its ultimate section. Refer to Figure 1 for the modified typical section.
- The Project was designed to complete the existing improvements and provide a seamless transition.
- The terrain along the proposed alignment is considered rolling with several small hills and valleys. The Project is designed to minimize earthwork while maintaining a safe and comfortable profile.
- The PDR identified that approximately 575 feet of right-of-way, from a single owner, is needed to complete the project.
Project Updates and Reports
- Final engineering plans are expected by April 2022
- Environmental clearance and permits are expected by end of summer.
Next Steps - Dependent upon funding, the project could be advertised as soon as Fall of 2022.